Joint Effort Marketing (JEM) Grant Program
The Joint Effort Marketing (JEM) Grant Program offers funding and guidance to make a promotion or event come to fruition. The grant reimburses
Why you should do it…
- Organizations can receive up to $39,550 in marketing reimbursement.
- A JEM grant is often a catalyst for communities, giving them the means to tap into the power of travel to make a solid impact on their economy and create jobs for its residents.
- It could mean the difference between getting an idea launched and letting it wilt away.
- The Department can reimburse up to 75% of a project’s first year promotional costs.
- For some categories, we offer grant support during subsequent years (50% for the second year, 25% for the third year).
- Eligible expenses include but are not limited to e-mail marketing, print and broadcast ads, direct mail, publicity, and billboards.
- JEM Applications are available for the following projects:
- New Event: An event that has not previously been held in the area. It’s an event the applicant intends to repeat regularly and is a project beyond the scope of daily operations. The maximum award is $39,550 and 3 years of funding are available.
- Existing Event: This project may be awarded funding for advertising in a new geographic market, targeting a new demographic audience or advertising placed in a new medium. New markets, media and audiences should be chosen based on their potential to increase event attendance. The maximum award is $39,550 and 2 consecutive years of funding are available.
- Sales Promotion: These must offer significant incentives for a limited period of time (usually 6-8 weeks) to persuade a targeted market to visit the area. Applications should include a list of participating businesses and the proposed incentives. The maximum award is $39,550 and 2 consecutive years of funding are available.
- One-Time/One-of-a-Kind: These projects publicize an event of major significance that has the potential to generate media coverage at least throughout the
Midwest. Anniversaries and birthdays are excluded. The maximum award is $28,250 and funding is limited to one year.
- Destination Marketing: Projects must include a partnership of at least three municipalities or communities who all benefit from increasing visitor expenditures. There are two facets within this grant: a development option and marketing option.
The development option provides financial resources to commission or purchase research. Qualifying research includes:
- Discovering a region’s differentiation qualities in order to define a brand and focus a marketing strategy.
- Securing data to measure the impact of the visitor on the local economy.
The Marketing Option funds marketing efforts that apply previous research. The campaign time frame should occur during the off-season or when the region needs tourism business. The maximum eligible award is up to $10,000 per municipality, or $39,550 for the project total. Destination Marketing applications are reviewed twice each year.
Complete Application Information:
JEM Grant Guidelines (pdf)
Tracking Expenditures (pdf)
Contact your Regional Tourism Specialist or Grant Coordinator for more information or questions.
Apply for a JEM grant
The Wisconsin Department of Tourism now accepts all grants online with our electronic grant system.
To apply for a JEM grant, go to grants.travelwisconsin.com.
If you haven’t used the system previously, please contact the Grant Coordinator to assist with setting up your organizational account.
For further questions or additional application call 608-261-6272 or email email@example.com.
JEM Grant Deadlines
New Events, Existing Events, Sales Promotions and One Time/One-of-a-Kind Events applications are due by midnight on February 1, April 1, August 1 and November 1 each year.
Destination Marketing applications are due by midnight on April 1 and September 1 each year.
Applications must also be submitted at least 90 days prior to the first day of advertising that will be paid using the grant funds; for example, if your first JEM funded ad runs on November 1, your application should be submitted by August 1.