Travel Green Wisconsin
Join the ranks of Aldo Leopold and Gaylord Nelson and help lead Wisconsin into a sustainable future by becoming Travel Green Wisconsin Certified. From cost savings and increased marketing opportunities to providing a positive environmental impact and supporting local businesses, the benefits of being Travel Green Wisconsin certified are abundant.
What is Travel Green Wisconsin (TGW)?
Travel Green Wisconsin is a voluntary, affordable certification that reviews, certifies, and recognizes tourism businesses that have made a commitment to continuously improve their operations in order to reduce their environmental impact. This certification program allows tourism businesses to evaluate their operations, set goals, and take specific actions towards environmental, social, and economic sustainability.
How Does a Business Become Travel Green Wisconsin Certified?
To become certified as a Travel Green Wisconsin business, review the qualifications and complete the online Travel Green Wisconsin Application Form. You will need to meet several basic requirements, which are detailed on the application.
Applications will be reviewed on a first come first served basis and the applicant will be notified about their certification status within five weeks. Certification is valid for a two-year period from the date of issuance.
How Much Does It Cost?
For all new applications, regardless of size or number of employees, there is a flat fee of $95. Renewals will occur every other year, instead of every year, for a flat fee of $75. It is less than $50/year to become certified!
How Do I Renew?
To renew, simply complete the Travel Green Wisconsin Renewal Form. Your information will be submitted to the Wisconsin Department of Tourism.
NOTE: We continue to offer renewals via a PDF version upon request.
Why Become Travel Green Wisconsin Certified?
- Becoming certified can improve your overall bottom line through utility savings.
- Certification reaches an increasingly popular traveler demographic that includes travelers looking to stay, eat and visit places where “going green” is truly important.
- AAA Wisconsin recognizes TGW certification and includes the TGW symbol in its guides.
- There are numerous marketing benefits including: regular promotion in Department marketing initiatives, inclusion of the TGW symbol on directory listings, travel items at TravelWisconsin.com and in Department publications, online advertising, and promotion of the program through the Secretary’s presentations.
- Travel Green Wisconsin is designed to give the state and hospitality business participants a marketing edge, promote smart business practices, reduce costs and energy consumption, educate travelers and employees, preserve our resources, support the Wisconsin brand, and protect the beauty and vitality of Wisconsin’s landscape.
- The peace of mind and satisfaction that you are doing the right thing by protecting and preserving Wisconsin’s natural resources.
- From fiscal savings to promotional power the benefits of being Travel Green Wisconsin certified are endless.
History of Travel Green Wisconsin
In 2005, the Department of Tourism created a Sustainable Tourism Ad Hoc Committee of leaders representing tourism industries, non-profit organizations and government agencies with the mission of helping tourism organizations adopt more sustainable business practices. Travel Green Wisconsin launched as a pilot program in 2006 in several key communities where tourism businesses went through the certification process and provided feedback used to fine-tune program elements. The program was introduced statewide in 2007. Currently over 345 Wisconsin tourism businesses and organizations have been certified as Travel Green Wisconsin businesses.