The Power of Tourism
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
Bookmark this page or download this handy infographic, just in case there’s ever a question in your mind about tourism’s impact on the vitality of Wisconsin’s economy.
Tourism Works for Wisconsin
- Tourism had a $21.6 billion impact on the state's economy in 2018.
- Wisconsin’s tourism industry achieves a Return on Investment of 7 to 1: $7 in tax revenue per $1 promotional spend.
- Visitor growth topped 112 million in 2018.
- The tourism economy generated $1.6 billion in state and local revenue and $1.2 billion in federal taxes. Without tourism, each Wisconsin household would pay an additional $680 to maintain existing services.
- Tourism directly and indirectly supports 199,073 jobs in Wisconsin.
- Visitor spending grew to $13.3 billion in 2018. Spending on recreation experienced the fastest growth at 8.4%.
Tourism Grant Programs
- In fiscal year 2018, the Department funded 56 Joint Effort Marketing projects, awarding a total of more than $1.1 million. Visitor expenditures driven by the marketing from these projects are expected to exceed $74 million.
- Projects receiving "Ready, Set, Go" sports marketing grants in fiscal year 2018 are expected to drive an estimated $6.88 million in visitor spending.
- The estimated future economic impact of Meetings Mean Business grants funded in fiscal year 2018 is $4.26 million.
- Nearly one million travelers were served by 17 tourism information centers receiving grants from the Department’s Tourist Information Center (TIC) Grant program.