The Power of Tourism
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS
Bookmark this page or download this handy infographic, just in case there’s ever a question in your mind about tourism’s impact on the vitality of Wisconsin’s economy.
Tourism Works for Wisconsin
- Tourism had a $22.2 billion impact on the state’s economy in 2019.
- Wisconsin’s tourism industry achieves a Return on Investment of 8 to 1: $8 in tax revenue per $1 promotional spend.
- In 2019, 113.2 million visitors spent $13.7 billion in Wisconsin.
- The tourism economy generated $1.6 billion in state and local revenue taxes. Without tourism, each Wisconsin household would pay an additional $687 to replace traveler taxes to maintain existing services.
- Tourism directly and indirectly supports more than 202,000 jobs in Wisconsin. One out of every 18 jobs in Wisconsin is supported by visitor spending.
- Visitor spending grew to $13.7 billion in Wisconsin in 2019.
Tourism Grant Programs
- In fiscal year 2019, the Department funded 48 Joint Effort Marketing projects, awarding a total of more than $934,000. Visitor expenditures driven by the marketing from these projects is expected to exceed $61 million.
- Projects receiving "Ready, Set, Go" sports marketing grants in fiscal year 2019 are expected to drive an estimated $2.3 million in visitor spending.
- The estimated future economic impact of Meetings Mean Business grants funded in fiscal year 2019 is $6.4 million.
- Over 600,000 travelers were served by 18 tourism information centers receiving grants from the Department’s Tourist Information Center (TIC) Grant program.