Ready, Set, Go! Competition Grants
It’s an especially competitive segment of tourism - attracting amateur and professional sports events. It’s also a lucrative and growing segment, which is why we decided to launch this grant program. Learn what's needed in the application and what's required for the post-event report if you’re successful in your bid.
The Wisconsin Department of Tourism recognizes the growth potential of the sports marketing niche as an economic driver in the state. To assist destinations in securing competitive sport events that require an upfront cash or financial commitment, we offer a unique sports partnership program. The goal of the fund is to generate visitor spending from sports tourism in Wisconsin. The fund has $110,000 available for matching grants. Amount available per destination/per request is 50% of a Bid Fee or 50% of other allowable site/venue/municipal fees, up to a maximum $20,000 during our fiscal year.
Purpose of the Fund
- Securing or creating competitive sporting events with a structure that generates both a spectator/athlete base and an economic impact for the area.
- Bringing events into the state, but not to fund in-state events that are regularly scheduled or those that rotate to destinations within the state.
- Events that have been secured prior to the written grant application are not eligible.
- Organizations or events that are currently funded through statutorily required expenditures (earmarks) are not eligible for funding through Ready, Set, Go grant fund.
- Organizations requesting funding from the Ready, Set, Go grant fund are not eligible to also request funding from the Joint Effort Marketing (JEM) grant fund for the same event.
- To bring to Wisconsin, events considering multiple destinations, including some located in states other than Wisconsin, to host their event/competition.
- Events that have been hosted in Wisconsin previously will be considered for grant funding based on prior event evaluation and documented economic impact.
- Bid Fees or up-front financial commitments that is paid directly to the events holder.
- Financial commitments to secure a venue/site/municipal services that an applying destination may require to host the event.
- Financial commitments to secure a venue/site/municipal services for competitive sporting events that are created within a destination for the purpose of creating an economic impact.